By CR Ransom
One good thing is that media outlets are scramming for news stories to capture and keep their audiences. What this means is that right now is an excellent opportunity to receive some free publicity and almost everyone could use a freebie in this economy.
So just how do you impress the media today? Well, one thing for sure you better not be wasting their time. Virtually, every media outlet from television, radio, magazines, even blogs etc. are operating with fewer staff. They still have the same deadlines and massive work to do, but without as much help.
Your pitch has to be of relevance and importance. If not you will surely find yourself on a blackball list and believe me these days it will take even more than a phone call from President Obama to get you off.
There are some reasonable measurements to take to remain newsworthy. Following these steps will help to stay on the media's good side and off the blackball list.
1. Reality Check - Are you aware of what is going on in the news? Seriously, have you done a self reality check to make sure that you are up to date on the latest news happenings? You can't make the news if you don't understand what is going on surrounding the news. Trust me most reporters and producers know when you are out of check with reality.
2. Win-Win Match - In order to receive free publicity from a media outlet you need to offer win-win match solutions to cover news about you. Pitching a storyline that does not match a media outlet's target audience is the fastest way to land on a blackball list. Also make sure that you are pitching reporters who cover news related to your pitch. Reporters don't pass on news to other reporters because it fits their category better; they simply toss your bad pitch.
3. Create News - There are so many social media resources to create news buzz. Try starting a company blog, put some videos on YouTube, or connect with others on Stumbleupon or Twitter.
4. Promote News - Most story ideas in the media are created from a press release. Make sure that you actively promote news to attract the media to cover stories on you.
5. Monitor News - Staying on the pulse of rising news stories is an entry to pitch and promote news to receive coverage. When it comes to breaking news stories the media always seek topics on related subjects to add to the story.
Remember the media runs on news and you have to stay newsworthy to be of benefit. Keep pitching!
Receive FREE Public Relations Tips: http://mosnarcommunications.blogspot.com
"CR" Cataunya Ransom is the Co-founder of Mosnar Communications, INC. She developed a niche for Luxury PR & Global Marketing. Guiding clients on how to brand, market, and promote luxury products, events, and services. http://www.mosnarcommunications.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CR_Ransom