Reputation in business is everything. It helps you build trust and credibility with your customers and contacts; it can help persuade someone to buy from you if they're not sure and it's also far easier to raise your prices if people perceive you as an expert.
Building your reputation is one of the most important things you can do in your marketing. There's nothing more powerful than this - I'd much rather buy from someone who looked as though they knew what they were doing. Wouldn't you?
So, if it's that important, how do you go about doing this?
Well, there are lots of ways you can build your reputation as an expert in your field. Here's just a few - I'm sure you'll be able to think of other things you can do too:
1. Speaking on the radio
2. Commenting on a subject in the press
3. Speaking at an event or a conference
4. Having a letter that you sent to a newspaper or magazine published
5. Being associated with a major organisation
6. Participating in on-line forums
7. Entering awards
8. Being seen on your local television news
9. Writing and publishing articles
10. Having a regular column either in the press or on-line
11. Writing a blog or contributing to the blogs of others
12. Writing e-books, reports and tips sheets
13. Holding an event and giving a demonstration
14. Being an expert on a talk show (go on, be brave!)
15. Write and publish a book
I know not all of these ideas will appeal to you, but if any of them do, go out there and give them a go. The more you concentrate on building your reputation, the more people will perceive you as an expert - and that can't be a bad thing at all.